Well, we thought we’d have an answer today but… NO. We were asked to see Dr. Malory our Pulmonary Specialist tomorrow to check Jake’s lung function. Our surgeon still has reservations as there is “noise” or “junk” in the lungs. They have a tentative OR now scheduled for Tuesday. We still may not know have a final answer tomorrow. It’s likely they will want to see him again Monday if surgery is a possibility and mak a last-minute call. If it’s a no, we will definitely head
in for chemo on Thursday. Our Oncologist feels that we’ll be in chemo this week, so much so, that she went ahead and put us on the docket. If we make surgery, she’ll cancel but this way we stay on track either way. So that’s the jest of it. We live in the “World of Wait”. Kind of like the World of Oz… crazy, unpredictable, always changing, new people, constant twists and turns… but in reality it’s the World of Stress. I don’t really know what to pray for tonight other than it was a good day for Jake as he took his labs like a pro with no tears… THAT is a HUGE praise! Will update again tomorrow with new news! Love and blessings to you all and Happy Rodeo’n!
Friday. As of Monday, Jake’s lungs were still wet – upper and lower lobes, front and back… wet and crackling. We came home with two more new meds. I can’t say I can even try to guess how tomorrow will go as he’s still coughing and from a mom’s view, I don’t know that it sounds much different… it’s a little, but not much… we shall see. We’ll see our surgeon, anesthesiologist, radiology, our Oncology Doc, and he’ll have more labs. It may be a long day for Jake. I’m trying not to think on it too much since we just don’t know. Tomorrow will be the day. The call will be made. Either we go in Friday for surgery or we likely head toward another round of chemo. It’s important to keep these kids on their chemo schedules so he doesn’t back-slide. Our hope is that we make it. Jake is as beefy, hydrated, ready to go, and looking better than he has in months. It’s been good to have this time for his body to build back. (And from last Thursday to Monday his platelets went from 57 – 70. That means we’re trecking toward an epidural!) We feel he’ll have a much better recovery right now than if we go after chemo, but the lungs are the deciding factor. We can go forward with chemo with a little fluid on the lungs, but surgery is a definite no-go. So we ask your prayers. My human side says, please pray for the lungs to be clear. As scary as surgery is, it must be done, so let’s get it done while he looks so good – but only if the lungs can take it. The other side of me says, God’s will be done. He’s gotten us this far, so whatever the decision, that’s it. No doubts, no regrets.. Oh, oh, I love this song playing in the background. Think I just got another God wink… he’ll “carry me, carry me, carry me, now.” I will post tomorrow asking for prayer for whichever way the wind blows. XOXO! You all know I love my music… go listen… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCzW0VlFbgU
Jake’s playing on one of the Gladpads that our home church’s Trinity Lutheran’s 7th Grade along with The Gladiators donated to TCH’s Oncology/BMT Child Life Specialist’s (these help calm and distract kids during procedures).
We were postponed AGAIN! I’m sorry I didn’t update yesterday but I was too fried to get online. Here’s the low down… We got to the hospital nice and early yesterday morning, got all signed in, gave our hugs to Meghan and Adrian, and headed back to the pre-op area where they discovered crackling and wetness in his lungs AGAIN! He was checked Thursday and sounded “clear” but not yesterday. We were sent down for another chest x-ray and after about a dozen different people consulting over what seemed like an eternity, the decision was made to postpone. The amount of time Jake would be on the table, the amount of fluids and blood products they would give him and the fact that he would be starting with lungs that were not up to par was not a combination they felt comfortable with. They just kept calling more and more specialists, sending red flags. There was obvious apprehension. I’m sure it’s not easy on their part to call off a surgery,
surely there is a lot red tape. I suppose there is always a responsibility aspect of how did we get this far and not catch this earlier? Yet, I can only imagine how it weighs on them to take a child into such a difficult and long surgery with the possibility of undue complications or worse. Talk about an emotional roller coaster! It takes so much out of you to emotionally prepare for something like this. BUT we are at complete peace with the decision. There was so much reservation that there was no way we could have sat in that waiting room feeling confident after having SO MANY Docs, nurses, anesthesiologists descend on our child’s behalf, conferring and looking to one anther for guidance. Our trust and faith in them is strenghened that they would regard our son the way that we do. They took no chance and we are grateful beyond words. Some cool stuff… What also came too light is that they had planned an epidural for pain management but Jake’s platelets came back at 57. Now this number is actually REALLY GOOD for him… but they won’t administer an epidural unless his platelets are above 90. We now have a week to allow his platelets to climb even more! We also learned that the last lung scan on Feb 4th showed some fluid and a small collapse in the lower right lung. The new scans show the collapse is healing – the lungs look good we just have to get them cleaned up, the fluid and crackling gone. So this just shows how God was in that room for sure! While we were all focusing on the BIG decision of the day, there were little things behind the scenes that God was handling, telling us in His quiet way “I’ve got this.” God was in that room for sure! We will be at TCH on Monday and Thursday for tests, scans and pre-op appointments, again, to get him cleared for surgery next Friday, Feb 22nd – when we will storm the heavens once more! Thank you for “stationing yourselves” to watch God in action and pray on Jake’s behalf. As a scripture that my sweet friend Stacia’s dad sent says, “Do not be afraid or dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God’s….You need not fight in this battle; station yourselves, stand and see the salvation of the Lord.” II Chron 20:15-17
I know Who goes before me I know Who stands behind The God of angel armies Is always on my side The One who reigns forever He is a Friend of mine The God of angel armies Is always by my side Whom Shall I Fear Lyrics from Chris Tomlin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOkImV2cJDg